Friday 7 October 2011

The Coronation by Boris Akunin

Earlier this week I finished the latest Erast Fandorin novel The Coronation by Boris Akunin.  For anyone not familiar with this series of Russian themed books, I would describe them as a Russian Sherlock Holmes, 'Who Dunnit', beautifully written and with well drawn-out characters and plots.

The Coronation places Fandorin at the heart of the Russian Coronation and right in the middle of a kidnap attempt.  The story is written from the stand point of the head servant and this offers and interesting and sometimes amusing view of life at a Russian Royal Household.

I will not give away too much in the way of plot but will say that I found it flowed and moved along quickly. I would recommend that new readers start with book one - The Winter Queen as this sets up back-story for the stammering hero, Erast Fandorin.  The second series of books by Boris Akunin, The Sister Pelagia mysteries are also worth checking out.


For full details search out Boris Akunin - all of his books are available via the library or cheaply in second-hand book stores.  I would recommend these two series of novels to anyone interested in who dunnit or Sherlock Holmes style genres.

Tony

1 comment:

DeanM said...

Sounds cool. I like the look of the cover too. My problem is I already have a lot of unread books - and still getting more :)! Best, Dean