Tuesday, 17 January 2017
The latest update; and at long last the Hammerhead Sharks head has been modelled.
I have used some scrap Green Foam to model the simple aerofoil section and then, when I was happy with the shape I cut it in half and glued one half to each side of the hull. The shape was refined once the glue was fully set, by sanding with some fine sanding sticks and pads. The upper nose section has been filled with DAS modelling clay and I would expect this to be further detailed once fully hardened.
The gills are sections of plastic floor sections from the Airfix Sci-Fi platform kit. They were cut out with a razorsaw, before being thinned and glued in place with superglue.
The model is 150mm long, 50mm wide (across the head) or 25mm wide (across the hull) and 26mm deep at the central hull.
Monday, 16 January 2017
The deck and hull sides continue to get attention. The forward section now has a gun redoubt that will house a cannon on a swivel base. This was built from a section of Biro barrel. Once again the other parts were card glued in place with superglue and then filled with fine filler and uPVA glue before being sanded smooth.
Sunday, 15 January 2017
The upper hull sides have been modelled from card. I find that card bends and conforms to the curved hull sides better than plastic card. I used superglue to glue these parts into place and then filled any gaps with a filler/uPVA glue mix. Once the filler was fully set, I sanded the sides with both a sanding stick and sanding pads.
The small sets of steps towards the rear of the main deck are just triangles of Pink Foam glued in place with superglue. With every addition of filler and then sanding, the hull sides and hull shape is further refined.
Saturday, 14 January 2017
I have spent most of the evening tidying up the basic hull shape, adding card profiles and filling gaps. At this stage I am still playing around with the design, adding bits here and sanding bits there. I think it is getting close to the stage where I can start adding details.
More to follow.
Friday, 13 January 2017
This is an image of the very first resin cast of a Stone Bridge that will be part of a planned Kickstarter campaign due later this year. The Kickstarter will feature over a dozen themed models sculpted by me, cast by Hysterical Games and available from Apocalypse Miniatures. For details see this link.
I was given this model when I met up with Rob earlier this week and Ryan at Apocalypse Miniatures has given me permission to feature the model on this Blog.
The final two images show the master prior to being moulded and cast. It is 210mm long, 100mm wide and 55mm tall. The narrowest part of the upper roadway (at the bow or top of the bridge) is 37mm wide.
Further details of this Kickstarter will be made available closer to the launch date, but I will try to offer teasers or previews over the next couple of months.
It is my hope that the full collection will be made available with the first launch. Stay tuned for further details and good luck to Ryan with this adventure.
Thursday, 12 January 2017
At long last, construction started.....
The hull is being constructed out of Pink Foam, as you can see in the images above I have used five different pieces to construct the hull. The individual parts were cut from foam with a jigsaw, glued together with superglue and then trimmed and sanded to shape.
I then used both sanding sticks and sanding pads to refine the shape before filling any holes with a filler, uPVA glue mix.
Obviously there is still a long way to go, but so far, I'm happy with the progress.
Wednesday, 11 January 2017
My latest Comando Comic is Peterloo! another of the Napoleonic themed issues to celebrate the 200 year anniversary of Waterloo. Regular readers and followers will know that I have quite a collection of similar issues, for details see this earlier post.
This example was purchased from e-bay.
I enjoy reading these simple adventures, some of which have inspired Flintloque scenarios or short stories.